The Proof is in the Pinot
28 Mar, 2017
Lake Geneva Festival of Wine Will Keep it Real on April 1
In a world of fake news and alternative facts, it’s important to have a few reliable truths in your back pocket.
And we’re not even talking about politics. Our thirst for knowledge has to do with wine.
Those who uncork their curiosity will find that it’s a good time to be a wine drinker. The economy is in strong shape, and the wine industry is expected to benefit in 2017. Consider, for example, the rate at which wine is flying off the shelves. Wine Enthusiast Magazine reported that “consumers spent 4.4 percent more on wine at stores in 2016,” according to a study engineered by the Wine Market Council, Nielsen, and other industry experts.
Meanwhile, a robust millennial market has influenced the demand for more sustainable winemaking practices. Among the trends are biodynamic wines that take all-natural techniques to the next level.
These are some good tidbits to take with you when you visit Grand Geneva Resort & Spa for the 2017 Lake Geneva Festival of Wine. The 2nd annual event runs from Friday, March 31 to Sunday, April 2, and promises a full weekend of vintage entertainment.
Right smack dab in the middle of the festival is the main event — the Grand Tasting — which runs from 3 to 6 pm on Saturday, April 1 (a special VIP hour starts at 2). Yes, that is April Fool’s Day, but the resort doesn’t joke around when it comes to wine. No pranks here — just pinots, petite sirahs, and anything else you can poke a corkscrew into.
And that’s just the headliner. The resort is also hosting wine dinners at its two most upscale restaurants, and you’ll have the chance to watch live chef demonstrations or do yoga and sip mimosas. Here’s the full itinerary:
- Wine & Dine 7 pm – Premier wines are paired with elegant four-course dinners at Geneva ChopHouse and Ristoranté Brissago.
- Paint ‘n Sip 7 pm – Enjoy a glass of wine and receive a painting tutorial, then take home your original masterpiece.
Saturday, April 1
- Yoga and Mimosas 9 am – Start the morning with a relaxing yoga session and a mimosa. All skill levels are welcome.
- Nature Walk 10 am – Take a breath of clean country air and enjoy the grand outdoors before all the wine tasting begins.
- Paint ‘n Sip 10 am
- Tasting Seminars 12:30 pm – Sip, sample, learn, and connect with experts as they share knowledge of their craft.
- Grand Tasting VIP Hour 2 pm
- Grand Tasting 3 pm – The main event! Meet at the Forum Ballroom to sample over 100 different wines.
Sunday, April 2
- Yoga and Mimosas 9 am
- Nature Walk 10 am
- Geneva ChopHouse Brunch 10 am